How to get rid of cavities is a process that may help prevent further pain and suffering from a root canal or tooth removal. Cavities, or holes in the teeth, are your mouth’s warning sign for urgent oral care. These tiny holes between teeth or on top of the surface will reveal if you have been missing appointments with your dentist, or not keeping up with proper oral care at home. If you’re not looking forward to seeing the tooth fairy think about how to get rid of cavities at home.
You can slow the process of tooth decay and help reduce your risk of cavity symptoms in many different ways. If you are unfortunate enough to suffer with a cavity, you will need to see a dentist. There you may find that the different options for a dental filling can include costly and even dangerous compounds like mercury.
Even riskier are root canal procedures that have been linked to heart problems and other chronic health concerns like an increased risk for diabetes.
What Causes Cavities?
There are a number of things that overtime can deteriorate the protective outer layer of your teeth. However, how to get rid of cavities is also complex. Known as the enamel, the top layer of your teeth is vital to prevent tooth breakdown as a loss of enamel can contribute to both small and large holes in your teeth also known as cavities.
Here are some of the main factors known to cause cavities:
- Bacterial buildup
- Consumption of sugary foods & beverages
- Lack of oral hygiene
- Poor dental care habits
- Toxic oral care products
How to Get Rid of Cavities: 5 Remedies to Get Rid of Tooth Decay
There are some natural ways to reduce everyday wear and tear on your teeth. Are you wondering, “How can I stop a cavity from getting worse?” Reduce your risk of cavities with these 5 remedies for tooth decay.
How to Get Rid of Cavities: 5 Steps to Help Prevent Tooth Decay
1. Oil Pulling. Coconut oil for cavities? Yes! Oil pulling is a traditional way used for centuries to reduce bacteria between teeth and along the gumline. The most effective way to use oil pulling in your oral care routine is to use try coconut oil as a natural cavity cure. This oil is the most commonly used substance for oil pulling because it offers naturally occurring anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. This inexpensive remedy for oral bacteria has been shown in clinical trials as effective against specific Streptococcus bacteria including Streptococcus mutans – a major cause of dental caries.
One of the best natural remedies for cavities, oil pulling can also help to whiten teeth, sweeten your breath and even improve gum health as a gentle dental care protocol. To try it, just purchase a small jar of organic coconut oil. It will stay solid in cooler temperatures, but in the mouth coconut oil quickly liquefies. Take a teaspoon of organic coconut oil and swish it in your mouth for 20 minutes. If you want extra anti-bacterial power, add 2-3 drops of essential oil into the mix (mint, clove). After 20 minutes of swishing, spit out the oil or if it becomes too milky before that, rinse your mouth with water. Then brush your teeth as usual.
Are you wondering how to get rid of cavities? You can help to heal cavities naturally with the ancient dental care protocol of oil pulling. Coconut oil is also an ideal option for preventing baby tooth decay by simply rubbing a small amount into the gumline.
2. Aloe Vera. This succulent plant is known as the “lily of the desert.” Filled with mucus-y meat and juice that are well-known for numerous health benefits aloe vera is how to how to get rid of cavities. As a mouth rinse, aloe vera has been shown in clinical studies to be just as effective as antiplaque mouthwash ingredient: chlorhexidine.
Ideal for reducing the risk of developing a cavity between teeth, aloe vera is an easy plant to grow right at home if you have access to bright sunlight. But you can also find the plant at health food stores and in the form of a supplement as juice or in gel capsules. Also a good option for cavities in baby teeth as natural remedies for cavities.
3. Powdered Egg Shells. Have you ever thought about how to heal cavities naturally? You probably have one of the most effective natural cavity cure ingredients in your refrigerator right now. I’m talking about eggs … well, their shells actually. They are one of the most potent sources of naturally-occurring compounds including calcium, magnesium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus – essential minerals needed to maintain strong and healthy teeth and bones. Reverse cavities with this oh-so common kitchen staple.
You can make a DIY egg shell powder. However, it is recommended that you purchase a supplement of powdered egg shells as it can be difficult to reach the right consistency at home.
4 Supplements. Most people do not get enough nutrients from their everyday diet alone. For this reason, many people gain dietary support from supplements. Natural remedies for cavities come in all shapes and sizes. Here are the best dietary supplements to prevent and help reverse cavities: Vitamin D, fish oil, krill oil, cod liver oil and probiotics including kombucha, fermented foods sauerkraut kimchi, yogurt and miso soup. Known to offer beneficial or micro-bacteria, these foods may also contain one type known as streptococos salivarius – a “good” strain known to help prevent colonization of “bad” strains that causes bad breath, tooth decay and even strep throat.
5. Fluoride-Free Toothpaste. Today, there are many different products on the shelves that can contain toxins. In fact, toothpaste is one of the most well-known care products to contain a harmful substance. Known as fluoride, this ingredient is common in “strengthening” formulas as it is known to boost the integrity of tooth enamel however, it may hurt your health.
For this reason, you may want to make a DIY fluoride-free toothpaste. If you wanted to know how to prevent cavities, daily oral care with a natural fluoride-free toothpaste is the answer!
DIY Fluoride-Free Strengthening Toothpaste Recipe:
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder (for strengthening)
- 5 drops essential oil to taste (peppermint, spearmint, clove)
Allow the coconut oil to liquefy at room temperature. Then pour it into a small bowl. Add in all of the other ingredients and stir to combine. Then, pour the oil into a small glass jar. Canning jars (Ball) work well. Allow the mixture to set in the refrigerator to harden and then keep the jar in your bathroom for everyday use.
Do cavities heal themselves? No but, taking good care of your teeth every day with a complete oral care regimen that includes oil pulling, brushing and flossing is the best way to prevent tooth decay from occurring. However, while everyone (at some point) experiences tooth decay and ultimately cavities, it is also important to know how to get rid of cavities. Try these 5 simple home remedies for cavities – proven to help offer a tooth solution!