Good vision is something that commonly deteriorates with age. Known as age-related vision loss, there are some well-known ways to help prevent this common problem associated with the natural aging process. These therapies include consuming the right foods for eye health, getting vitamins for eyesight, performing eye exercises to improve vision and even corrective eye surgery if all fails. You will need to work closely with your eye doctor to discuss adding any of these ideas to your everyday eye care plan but once you develop the plan it is easy to implement.
How Did My Eyesight Get So Bad?
There are many different reasons for eyesight problems. However, if you want to correct poor eyesight or vision problems you will first need to understand what type of problem you have. Of course it is essential to talk to your eye doctor before choosing any type of therapy for eyesight problems. However, developing a care plan to improve eye sight is easier when you can identify your problem.
Causes of bad eyesight include:
- Age-related vision loss
- Macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinitis pigmentosa
- Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
- Retinal detachment
- Acquired (traumatic) brain injury
- Eye strain
How Can I Improve My Eyesight?
If you are suffering with a loss of your good vision, there are steps you can take to improve eye sight. The first step in addressing your eye health is talking to your doctor, but you can also take these 5 simple steps to improving your eyesight, today! Just remember that each of these points are simply tips to help improve your vision. They may not all be right for you. However, talking about these 5 simple ways to improve eye sight with your doctor can help you know which are best for your eye correction plan to improve eye sight.
1. Eat Vitamin A Foods. Have you ever wondered, “Are carrots good for your eyes?” Well … the answer is “Yes.” Carrots are one of the best food for eyes because they provide a good source of a nutrient known as Vitamin A or beta carotene. Also responsible for the bright orange/red color of fruits and vegetables, beta carotene is a nutrient included in a new formula developed to address age-related vision loss. Known as the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 or the AREDS2, vitamin A as beta carotene is found in many common foods including (you guessed it … ) carrots, sweet potatoes, peaches, cantaloupe, winter squash, spinach, kale, chard, along with corn, broccoli, eggs and oranges. Add these to your food to improve eyesight shopping list!
The AREDS is a formulation that includes vitamins for eyesight specifically for those with age-related macular degeneration (AMD). It includes vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, zinc and copper. Upon revising the original formulation, researchers added lutein, zeaxanthin and omega-3 fatty acids to the AREDS2 as they were shown to help improve eye sight.1
2. Cut it Out. There are some things that you can do improve your healthy eyesight and good vision. But there are also things you should NOT do that can help to give you better vision. This includes cutting things out of your life like smoking, wearing low-quality sunglasses and skipping eye doctor appointments. Sometimes, making small lifestyle changes can make a BIG impact on your vision problems.
3. Do Eye Exercises. You have plenty of time to improve your vision. Just try a few simple eye exercises! They are the best way to improve eye sight naturally and they take just a few moments. You can spare it if you consider the time you spend looking at your computer screen, smartphone or TV.
Here is an example of an eye exercise you can do for better vision:
Eye Roll Exercise. Start by relaxing your eyes and gently opening them, look upward. Then slowly direct your focus in a circle. Complete the rotation 10 times, then reverse the direction and do the same exercise, only counterclockwise. Start by looking up and then slowly circle 10 times clockwise and 10 times counterclockwise.
NOTE: It is important to rest your eyes after performing any type of eye exercise. Check with your eye doctor for more suggestions. They may include blinking, palming, figure eight, near and far focusing and zooming, plus Eye exercises for double vision.
4. Protect Your Eyes. It is so important to protect your eyes, not only during the day but also at night. With all that your eyes do for you, they are in danger of not only environmental toxins like UV rays from the sun during the day, but also harmful blue light from your tech devices at night. Other factors like wind, dust and allergens can take a toll on your delicate eyes so always keep eye drops with you to soothe dry eyes and eliminate irritants. Wear eye glasses designed to prevent the absorption of both UVA and UVB rays from the sun during the day. And in the evenings, when you are on a smartphone or tablet adjust the view to eliminate blue light from the screen to avoid damaging your sleep wake cycles (circadian rhythm) and improve eye sight.
5. Corrective Eye Surgery. If you suffer with less than perfect vision – you’re not alone! But that doesn’t mean that getting better vision is out of your reach. No matter what the reason is for your vision problems, corrective eye surgery can help. Restore your natural vision to what it was before you started having eyesight problems without adding any food for eyesight improvement to your menu or changing your self care plan. There is very little downtime required to gain the benefits of a corrective eye surgery (almost none!) making it one of the most popular and requested procedures in ophthalmologist offices. Also known as LASIK – corrective eye surgery is able to reduce vision problems including nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
There are many different ways that you can boost your eye health and good vision. Follow these 5 tips to improve eye sight and also aim to eat food good for eyes – at any age!
Are you wondering how to improve your eyesight after the age of 50? Vision problems can occur at any age but it is most common for people undergoing the aging process to experience a loss of healthy eyesight and good vision. However, there are many ways to get better vision that you can apply to your eye care plan. So, talk to your eye doctor, today about ways to improve eye sight!
Related: SkinCentric Eye Serum Review: Is Product A Scam Or Legit?