The old saying “the grass is always greener on the other side” applies so perfectly to the way women tend to feel about their hair. People with straight hair usually envy those with naturally curly locks while people who have been blessed with tresses of waves seem to always want to straighten those spirals. The beauty industry has for generations risen to the challenge with a seemingly infinite amount of hair care products for sculpting, ironing, holding, curling, and straightening your coif. But all of these products and many involving heat and chemicals can be quite damaging to your hair. So if you are one of the curly headed crew wanting to know how to straighten hair naturally, keep reading for natural home remedies that will leave you with beautiful straight hair without the damage caused by unnecessary heat and other products.
While there are hair straightening treatments that are marketed to people looking how to get permanent straight hair, these methods are only expected to produce straight hair for about one year, at which point your hair will return to its natural state of curl or frizz and may possibly end up with broken and hardened split ends. But there is one recipe that is the best way to straighten curly hair naturally.
List of Natural Remedies for Hair Straightening
There are 4 natural ingredients that you can find right in your own kitchen that will take you from curly to straight hair without spending a dime or applying harmful products to your cherished locks. Combine these 4 ingredients together as prescribed below if you are looking how to straighten your hair naturally at home.
This solution for how to make hair straight and silky naturally can produce the results you want in just 30 minutes. So with little time and even less money, you can master this simple technique for hair straightening at home.
The 4 Ingredients for how to get straight hair without heat and how to keep hair straight
- Coconut oil: 1 cup.
- Olive oil: 2 Tablespoons.
- Lemon Juice: About 4 Tablespoons (or the juice from 1 lemon).
- Cornstarch: 3 Tablespoons.
How to Prepare these 4 Ingredients for Hair Straightening
- Mix all 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. Continuously stir the mixture until combined into a creamy textured paste.
- Generously apply the paste to your hair. Once your hair is saturated and coated with the hair straightening mixture, cover your head with a shower cap.
- Soak a towel in hot water and cover the shower cap with the steaming towel. Leave it covered with the heated towel for about an hour.
- Rinse the natural hair straightening product from your hair. Follow by shampooing and conditioning your hair as usual.
How this natural home remedy for hair straightens your curls leaving them healthy, supple, and shining.
The combination of coconut oil, olive oil, lemon juice, and cornstarch act to open up your curls. The oils will also act in concert to properly hydrate your tresses leaving them smooth and shiny. This home remedy for straightening hair naturally is suitable and effective for all hair types and will provide you with smooth, sleek, straight hair for more than a week at time per application. However, you can use this hair straightening product as often as you would like since it is a healthy alternative to salon straightening products and it will not cause damage to your hair.
Other Home Remedies for Hair
Salon hair straightening treatments can cause dry brittle hair as well as allergies on your scalp and possible hair loss caused by the harsh chemicals and heated tools that are necessary for producing permanently straight hair. In addition to the coconut oil hair mask recipe provided above, there are some other ways how to straighten hair naturally with safer products.
5 Best Hair Straightening Products
Hot oil treatments: Regular hot oil treatments will keep your hair well hydrated and silky smooth. The heated saturation of the warm oil will relax your curls leaving your hair straight and healthy. The best hair straightening oils for this method are coconut, almond, olive, and sesame oils.
- Choose your oil and heat it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Massage the warm oil into your hair for 15-20 minutes.
- Comb your hair thoroughly to evenly distribute the oil and prevent breakage when washing.
- Cover your hair with a hot wet towel for 30-40 minutes.
- Rinse and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- With a wide toothed comb, gently comb through your wet hair and allow to air dry.
Coconut milk: Coconut milk has a moisturizing effect on your tresses and will leave your hair with a beautiful luster and shine. It will also protect your scalp from infections with its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
- In a glass jar or bowl, mix together 1 cup of coconut milk and the juice of 1 lemon (approximately 4 tablespoons).
- Refrigerate the mixture until a creamy layer forms on the surface.
- Massage the cream into your hair and scalp and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap. Then apply a hot wet towel over it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse, shampoo, and condition as normal.
- Gently comb through your wet hair and allow to air dry.
Milk: Milk contains moisturizing properties that can also straighten hair. The proteins present in milk will fortify the hair shafts leaving them smooth and free from frizz.
- In a spray bottle, mix together ½ cup of milk with ½ cup of water.
- Gently comb out any tangles in your dry hair.
- Spray the mixture over your dry hair and comb through again to evenly distribute it.
- Leave on for 30 minutes then rinse, shampoo, and condition as normal.
Eggs and olive oil: The proteins in eggs help to strengthen hair and leave it shiny and healthy while olive oil will moisturize your hair. The combination of these two ingredients will straighten your hair naturally.
- Beat two eggs and add 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp and comb through with a wide toothed comb to evenly distribute the formula.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave on for 30-45 minutes.
- RInse and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Aloe vera: Aloe vera contains certain enzymes that promote hair strength and growth and leave your hair soft and smooth. An aloe vera gel can easily penetrate into the strands of your hair and provide a moisturizing effect which will straighten your hair naturally.
- Mix together ½ cup of aloe vera gel with ½ cup of warm olive oil.
- As an option, you can also add 6 drops of rosemary oil and 6 drops of sandalwood oil for extra hydrating and smoothing benefits.
- Gently and thoroughly massage this mixture into your hair and scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave on for at least one hour up to two hours.
- Rinse and wash with a mild shampoo.
In an era when long sleek and straight hair is en vogue, these popular home remedies for naturally straight hair are easy and inexpensive ways to obtain the end result of beautiful straight hair without risking the damage that hair straightening techniques at salons can cause.
Read More: Hair Care Supplements