Recent studies found that happy marriages can make you live longer. But there is a flip side to that coin. An unhappy marriage has diverse and negative effect on your overall health according to experts.
Here are major signs that tell you are negatively affected by your unhappy marriage:
- Poor communication. Not talking about the problems and issues that you as a couple are facing can lead to muscle tensions, headaches, depression, and anxiety. The darker effect of lack of communication is when women tend to cope up with it through alcohol and drugs.
- Fighting Frequently. If you keep on fighting, you are increasing your risk for cardiovascular conditions. According to a recent study, more women are hospitalized for heart attacks and chest pains due to marital stress. Constant arguing could also lead to increase in cholesterol count, high blood sugar, high blood pressure, heart diseases, type 2 diabetes and stroke.
- Partner first. You give everything to your partner to the point that you forget about your own well-being. Taking a time out to pamper yourself can dramatically reduce anxiety and stress. So take care of yourself first so that you can take care of your partner.
- Lack enough sleep. If your partner deprives you of sleep due to snoring, hogging or for other reasons, you may suffer in the long run health conditions such as anxiety, depression, and even cardiovascular diseases.
- Overeating. If your partner is not disciplined when it comes to his or her diet, then you might have poor eating habits too. This increases the risk for becoming overweight or obese.
On a more positive light, if you avoid the problems mentioned above and develop a happy marriage, you will have stronger bones; less stress and you will live longer together and achieve that happily ever after.