You have been dating for several years now, and you think that the next big step is to move in together – not get married, just move in.
Moving is a growing trend in America, UK, and Australia. Some 75 percent of women in these countries move in with their significant others by the age of 30.
Here are some of the major things that you should consider if you plan to move in with your partner:
- You must be prepared to talk about your finances and come up with a combined budget for your home.
- You can end your lease, wait for it to end, or get to a sublease deal with your landlord. You can also look for a new place to stay, which may take a few weeks or months.
- It is better to rent a place first before buying a house.
- Have a serious conversation before moving in. Talk about your finances, talk about where your relationship stands and where it is headed.
- You can choose to keep finances separately.
- You must know about the common-law marriage, which is present in some state, or country.
- You should come up with a cohabitation agreement, especially if you have common assets.