If a man and a woman is in love with each other and they are at the right age, state of mind, and financial ability, then they should get married. This is such a very simple notion, but of course marriage is not this plain.
You might have been married for a long time, but there are still a lot of things about marriage that you do not know.
Here are the main things you probably don’t know about marriage:
- The primordial recorded marriage dates back 2000 B.C. in the ancient land of Mesopotamia for reasons of power, land, and heirs.
- Before the Enlightenment in the 17th century, love was not important in marriage. It was in the Industrial Revolution, when men can raise his own money that he can reject the woman his parents force him to marry.
- When Queen Victoria married Prince Albert, she wore a white gown. This started the tradition of wearing a white gown during marriage.
- Scotland’s Gretna Green is notorious for its runaway wedding, which is why they came up with a law called The Marriage Act of 1753. The law put up regulations and requirements before getting wed.
- An American couple that has reached 50 years or more into marriage can get an anniversary card from the United States President and First Lady.
- The first nation to pass same sex marriage is Netherlands.
- The longest marriage of a living couple has reached 88 years with husband Karam Chand, 108, and wife Katari, 106. The couple is from India. But the longest recorded marriage reached 91 years, by a couple married in New York City back in 1772.
- As of now, Vatican City and the Philippines are the only countries that prohibit divorce.
- A study from the University of Chicago found that more than 30 percent of marriages from 2005 up to 2012 were from couples that started their relationships online.