Crime stories are always gripping. It keeps you hanging on the edge of your seat as the author keeps you guessing who the culprit really is or what the root of the crime was.
If you are a sucker for crime stories, here are some underrated but totally awesome crime novel authors you should check out:
- Cara Black. Black has captivated readers since 1999 when she released the first instalment of her Paris-based crime series that features Aimée Leduc, a private investigator. The first book was Murde in the Marais, while her 2014 book is called Murder in the Pigalle, which involves the preparation of the 1998 World Cup.
- John Burdett. This is an entertaining story about crime solving Thai Detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep, whose father is an American GI during the Vietnam while his mother was a Thai bar girl. The detective is witty and knows his way through the nitty gritty streets of Bangkok in solving crimes.
- MP Cooley. This new comer shocks you with his book Ice Shear, which starts with a woman impaled gruesomely on an ice pick in the cold Mohawk River. Widowed FBI agent June Lyons was first on the scene.
- Alan Glynn. The Dark Fields is one of his works that inspired the motion picture Limitless, starring Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro. His second book was Winterland, which was a political crime thriller about the downfall of the Celtic Tiger. His book Bloodland won the Irish Book Award for Crime Fiction. It is another political roller coaster ride set in Ireland and the Congo involving an ex-Irish Prime minister and a US presidential candidate.
- Ian Hamilton. He used to be a diplomat and a journalist. He writes about feisty forensic accountant Ava Lee, who is based in Toronto. His business partner in Hong Kong known as “Uncle” is linked to the triads.
Here are other honourable mentions:
- Deon Meyer
- Kathy Reichs
- Leonardo Sciascia
- Peter Temple
- Sarah Weinman