There are a lot of blockbuster movies to watch out for in August. If you are not into those commercialized movies riddled with CGI with no proper plot and character development, there are real films you can watch in August.
- Two Days, One Night. This is the Dardenne brothers’ latest film starring Marion Cotillard as a woman who spends an entire weekend struggling to win her job back. The Guardian dubbed it as the Twelve Angry Men of the 21st-Century.
- The Trip to Italy. Michael Winterbottom continues his The Trip with this sequel starring Philomena’s Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Instead of the Lake District, now they brought their gastronomic escapade in the Mediterranean.
- Love is Strange. Ira Sachs directs this love story following her Keep the Lights On. This time the perspective director presents a love story of an older couple.
- Frank. Michael Fassbender plays the odd British pop star Frank Sidebottom in this film directed by Lenny Abrahamson.
- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. This is the sequel of the 2005 hit contemporary noir Sin City. Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez team up again in this sequel with Jessica Alba and a lot of new star ensemble.
- Calvary. This is a follow up to The Guard. Director John Michael McDonagh teams up with actor Brendan Gleeson in this dark story about a plot to murder an Irish Catholic Priest.
- Night Moves. Old Joy director Kelly Reichardt brings you a film about environmentalists who are planning to destroy a controversial dam. The film stars Jesse Eisenberg, Peter Sarsgaard, and Dakota Fanning.
- The Two Faces of January. Drive screenwriter Hossein Amini directs for the first time in this movie adaptation of the novel authored by Patricia Highsmith.
- Finding Fela. This is a film by Alex Gibney, who is a documentary filmmaker. This is a film about the great musician Fela Kuti.