Previcox is marketed as a Cox-2 non-steroidal anti-inflammation medication used to reduce pain and inflammation in dogs. In most countries, Previcox cannot be accessed directly from the pet store. You will need a prescription to purchase this product. To get a prescription, you will need to visit your requires a prescription from your veterinarian. It has been used to help dogs that are recovering from surgical procedures, fighting arthritis, and experiencing pain due to injury. Note that you might fight the same product using its generic name; Firocoxib
What you should know about this product?
- Previcox (firocoxib) is a NSAID supplement. It works by controlling the substances in the body that cause inflammation
- Previcox is available in 57mg and 227mg Chewable tablets
- You need to visit your vet in order to get this product
- It is used in the fight against arthritis and for post-surgery recovery
- Your vet may prescribe this product for other purposes that we might not list here.
Which dogs should take Previcox?
This product is safe to use for dogs that are 7 weeks or older. Your vet will advise you on which dog qualifies for this supplement.
Active Key Ingredients
What are the benefits of this product?
This product is not meant to treat any condition. However, it can be beneficial when it comes to treating inflammation and inflammation related illnesses. It is designed primarily to help fight pain in ailing joints. According to the producers, it has the following useful benefits;
- Easy to administer. It comes in a chewable tablet format which is easy to administer even in cases of small dogs
- It can be taken from the palm directly or mixed with food
- It is a fast acting pain reliever
- it is widely researched to determine safety and effectiveness.
My dog is approximately 11 years old and suffers from hip dysplasia and arthritis. Using a syringe to administer is a snap and guarentees she gets the medicene that keeps her moving and comfortable. I am grateful for this medication. – K. Allen
How Previcox works?
Previcox is a non-steroidal supplement that works by inhibiting the COX-2 (cyclooxygenase-2) enzyme. This is the enzyme that generates chemicals which are responsible for causing inflammation, pain, inflammation and even fever in the pet’s body. Once the enzyme is taken care off, the body’s immune system can continue to take care of the body instead of fighting with the body.
Cautions and warnings
- Talk to your vet or caregiver before administering this product
- If your dog is allergic to aspirin or any other NSAID.
- Inform the vet if your dog has the following conditions;
- Has any liver, kidney or heart disease
- Has an ulcer
- Bleeding in the stomach
- Has high blood pressure
- Tell your veterinarian if your dog is taking steroid medication such as prednisone, methylprednisolone or Prednisolone.
- In case of a missed dose, administer the missed dose as soon as you remember unless if it is almost time for the next dose, which in this case you should skip this dose. Do not give a double dose of the medication!
- Inform your vet if the pet has either hives or an allergic reaction after taking sulphur-based supplements such as aspirin or other NSAID such as Rimadyl.
- Inform your vet In case your pet shows signs of
- abdominal pain
- water retention
- Yellowing of the eyes
- tenderness or discomfort
- bloody, black or tarry stools
- fatigue or lethargy
- skin rash
- Unusual bruising
How this product shouldbe given?
- You should administer this product directly as prescribe by your caregiver. You should consult with your caregiver if you are not sure of how to do this. Wrong administration can be fatal or have adverse effects on the health of your pet.
- Normally, when Previcox is used in the treatment of osteoarthritis pain and inflammation, the normal dosage is 2.27mg/pound of weight as a single daily dose. You can give this product directly with food or without food depending on your preferences. It is recommended that you give your pet lots of water with this supplement.
- This product is not recommended for cats. Do not use it on cats unless it is a prescription!
- Store Previcox at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
- Keep this product away from children and pets.
What are the possible side effects of Previcox?
- Some of the side effects you can expect include; allergic reactions (swelling of the lips, difficulty breathing) open sores, muscle cramps, rapid weight gain, seizures and abdominal cramping.
- Mild effects include; headache, nausea, dizziness, constipation, fatigue or weakness, depression, or dry mouth.