Advertising DisclosureThe content that appears on this page is presented as an overview vs. comparative marketing. The provided information includes product information, overviews, buying guides, and product specifications. All trademarks, registered trademarks and service-marks mentioned on this site are the property of their respective owners. If something is factually inaccurate please contact us and let us know. By contributing your product facts helps to better serve our readers and the accuracy of the content.
The table below does not include all companies or all available products in the market but those that we promote as their affiliates. In full compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume that any and all links on the table are affiliate links, and we may receive compensation if you click one of these and make a purchase. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. All editorial content is written without prejudice or bias, regardless of sponsor or affiliate associations.
RIMADYL is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that has been proven effective to relieve pain when used once or twice-daily in the joints of dogs with arthritis. The supplement is used to fight inflammation in dogs of all sizes and weight. It has been described as a perfect solution to replace pain fighting medications like aspirin that has been known to be toxic to dogs. According to the official website, over 24 million dogs have been treated with RIMADYL.
What you should know about RIMADYL?
- RIMADYL is designed for dogs of all ages and weight. Check the dosage chart for information on administration
- RIMADYL is sold in a white bottle with a white label and yellow detail. It is available in two sizes; 60 capsules and 180 capsules
- Comes in an easy to administer form. It can easily be mixed with food
- Most retailers are selling it for an average of $34.19 for the 30 ct. bottle, $62 for the 60 ct. bottle $166.48 for the 180 ct. bottle. The difference in price depends on the retailer shop you are buying from, shipping and handling costs and to some small extent the tax applied.
- RIMADYLis a Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug also known as Carprofen
Active Key Ingredients
There is only one active ingredient in Rimadyl that is Carprofen which is a Non-steroidal ingredient.
Benefits of using RIMADYL
According to the manufacturer, this is a product designed for dogs that are;
- Experiencing cracking and immobile joints
- Experiencing difficulty moving due to pain in the joints.
- Limping or show evidence of pain while moving
RIMADYL has the following benefits
- Helps maintain pain free joints
- Well tolerated by most dogs
- Easy to administer, comes in chewable tablets or caplets
- Can be administered safely as one single dose
- Flavoured for easier administration
Disadvantages of using Rimadyl
- It has some known side effects
- It is not fortified with vitamins
How does RIMADYL work?
Like earlier stated, Rimadyl is a non-steroidal ant-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by inhibiting the hormones that are known to cause inflammation and pain in the dog’s body. It has been proven effective to reduce pain after surgery or dental procedures. Since it fights inflammation effectively, it has been used to reduce conditions such as arthritis and hip dysplasia.
Warnings and Precautions
- RIMADYL is a safe product to use on all dogs. However, there might be a few hitch-ups when you first start using this product on your pet.
- Proceed with uttermost caution when administering to pregnant or breastfeeding dogs. There have been no major concern on pregnant or breastfeeding dogs but experts suggest administering with caution.
- In case your pet has bloody, tarry or black stool, or blood in the vomit, it might be a sign of serious symptoms that could signal serious side effects. Some of the side effects you can expect include; allergic reactions (swelling of lips, difficulty breathing) open sores, muscle cramps, rapid weight gain, seizures and abdominal cramping.
- Mild effects include; headache, nausea, dizziness, constipation, fatigue or weakness, depression, or dry mouth.
- RIMADYL should be stored in a cool, dry place away from children.
- Diabetic dogs should get their sugar legs checked regularly during the period of use.
- RIMADYL is not meant to treat or cure any ailment. According to the manufacturer, it is meant for pain support only.
Directions of use
According to the manufacturer, the usual recommended daily dosage in dogs is 2mg per pound weight given as a single daily dose or divided and administered as 1mg per pound twice a day. Consult your vet if you are not sure of the dosage.
What are customers saying?
This product has received divided views from customers. Most customers are not happy with the side effects while those who support the product love it for its fast action and effectiveness. The product is rated above average of most review sites.