The most anticipated sporting event of the year, the 2014 World Cup, finally begins with host Brazil taking on Croatia for the kick off game.
Fans are definitely keeping tabs on their favorite teams and players as the FIFA World Cup 2014 has officially started.
But out of the 736 players that are in Brazil this year, here are the top 6 gladiators of the football field:
- Lionel Messi of Argentina’s lightning quick feet and can elusively slip off defenders more than any other player in the world. He also has an incredible intuition for the goal. He is the only player who won the FIFA Ballon d’Or, which is an award given to someone who has won World Player of the Year for four times.
- Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal. No one can pull off a counter-attack down the wing as explosive as Ronaldo. With his amazing dribbling ability and nasty knuckleballing free kick, this player fits best on the top 2 spot.
- Luis Suarez of Uruguay is a world-class striker and a very dangerous finisher, wherever he may be in the field. He is also considered as one of the most polarizing players in the world.
- Yaya Toure of Ivory Coast can easily be considered as the world’s best holding midfielder. He has a one of a kind long-range shot and he has a reputation for his bombing run forward.
- Andres Iniesta of Spain is the world’s best passer. He can easily let the ball slide through very narrow openings. His style has earned him the nickname “The Illusionist.”
- Franck Ribery of France is a formidable winger. He can easily cut inside as he plays in on the left side. He then uses his left foot to goal.