Cars are not just for transportation. Some of them are icons that define a year or an entire decade.
Aston Martin design chief Marek Reichman has something to say about some of the most iconic cars in history. Since 2005, he has been the design director for the giant car company. He is known for the Vangquish, Rapide, and of course, the One-77 supercar.
What do these cars have that make them very important in automotive history?
Let’s find out what Reichman has to say:
- Porsche 911. This car is timeless. It has a fundamentally different approach to a car’s package. Cars, during the 1920s and 1930s, have a big bonnet front like how carriages have horses in front. The 911 is iconic because it is the first car that moved away from this design.
- Lamborghini Miura. If you compare Porsche 911 to this car based on physical beauty alone, then the Miura would win. Its windscreen angle is dramatic and it is also a very low car. The car is elegantly sculptural, making it look animal-like.
- Ferrari 250. Just like the Miura, this short-wheel based car has proportions that are perfectly and beautifully measured. Its details are simply pure.
- Aston Martin DB4 GT. This car is as proportionate as the 250 and the Miura, making it very beautiful.
- W154 Mercedes. Among all the cars that are beautifully designed, this would come first in Reichman’s list. It is not just elegant; it is also very functional. Having an incredible design can already attract buyers, but this one went the extra mile and made itself work great as a racing car.
Here are the rest of the iconic cars that he has included in his list:
- Bugatti Atlantic
- The Phantom Corsair
- Lotus Epspirit
- 5 and 7 series BMWs
- Range Rover
- Aston Martin One-77