Sometimes you are stuck in a place where there is no Wi-Fi of network coverage. This can be very disconcerting in this generation where we live by the power of the thumb. We are always texting and chatting with a friend, one who is as close as in the next room. This can be even unnerving if we are faced with natural disasters that can deteriorate our cell service, making it unreliable. Another situation may be the unexpected disasters we face, like hurricanes and floods that cut down our communication and make it difficult to call for help. That where goTenna comes in. It is a portable, pocket size, 100% off grid device that enables you to connect with your friends via text and messages. You download the app to your phone
To purchase the goTenna device visit their official website for
- 2 goTenna at $199 (one for you and the other for a friend)
- Pay in small amounts of $18 per month.
Manufacturer information and claims about goTenna
The goTenna is a device developed by goTenna Company headed by Daniela Perdomo and her team. The device development was influenced by the network crush after the 2012 Hurricane Sandy. Many of the residents could not contact their friends and family to ensure they were safe. For this reason the developers came up with a device that was completely off the grid.The company guarantees its users that it runs a secure device since the user is given the entire control of the service, end to end. They also point out that the device is highly suitable and a must have for people who go hiking, travelling on a unconsecrated sim card, to concerts and sports matches and during disasters.
The device has been awarded a total of 6 awards. The CES award for being the best wireless accessory, Tech for a Better Worldand the Editor’s Choice 2015. Also the Gear of the show award, best ib show GearJunkie award and the GearPatrol 100 award.
How does goTenna work?
The general build-up of a goTenna is as follows.
Metal, Nylon and Silicone Casing
- To ensure durability
- Is water resistant.
- Used to activate the goTenna device.
- Creates the messaging interface that enable syou to communicate to another usernearby.
- Cognitive digital radio that enables you to use your smartphone as an off-grid communication tool
Active Key Ingredients
The benefits of using goTenna
Using goTenna is a solution that can come in handy in a crisis situation. The following benefits come with purchasing the goTenna:-
- The antenna is made of plastic that is durable and flexible for use.
- Materials used are water resistant.
- It’s easy to use with your phone.
- Installation is very easy and not as cumbersome as most devices.
- Gives you a green check mark when your text is received by the recipient and a red mark when your message is not received.
- It is light weight and small enough to fit in any backpack or bag, so you do not have to worry about where to put it.
- It enables you to send your location, request another goTenna’s location and communicate to other goTenna users in a public channel.
- The information is not stored anywhere thus you get your privacy all together.
- The range is overly dependent on your geography. This can be quiet picky for who gets to use the goTenna.
There are both positive and negative testimonials available online from customers, but on the overall most of them express great satisfaction.
The instructions for use of goTenna
- When you have no cell coverage or Wi-Fi, activate your goTenna, buy pulling the antenna out.
- Pair it to youriOS or android device through Bluetooth-LE.
- Set up your account.
- You are ready to use.
The Precautions of using goTenna
It is suitable for use by anyone. Just make sure it is well strapped to your back-pack or well placed in your bag, as it is small. To avoid misplacing or losing it.
The Side Effects
For a device used in natural disasters it is safe to say it is the safest device to its users. Poses no threat. Unless by side effect you mean it can be very addictive to use due to its simplicity and no need of a wireless connection or network coverage.