Hackers use this service to gain stealth entry into private networks and carry out their motives. To know how to set up a VPN and enjoy the benefits of the PPTP VPN on your Windows 7 computer, the user will need the following provisions. An active VPN account. VPN accounts are normally paid for, but the user can enjoy a free trial version before making a payment. The next information to have is your VPN username, password, and VPN IP address. The user provides the first two requirements, but the VPN network provides their server address.
- Step 1: Start by clicking the Windows button. Type in the search bar; VPN, and the next the move is to select the Option-Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection.
- Step 2: The next option is to choose “Set up a new connection or Network” (2). Start by inputting the right IP address or the server’s domain name to which you desire a connection. The IT administrator on your computer can assist in providing the best address when your choice is a connection with a work network.
- Step 3: Select ‘don’t connect now’ if the user chooses to set up the connection details without connecting. Otherwise, leave this section blank and click Next to move further.
- Step 4: The user has an option at this level to input username and password for access. Otherwise, the space blank should remain without details. There is always a chance for prompts that allows the user sign in on the real-time connection. The next move is Click Connect.
- Step 5: To connect, click on the Windows network logo on the lower-right part of your screen; then select Connect under ‘VPN Connection.’
- Step 6: Begin this step by entering the right domain name and your login credentials in the ‘connect VPN Connection’ box. If you are confused about these details, find the right data in the client section of the VPN website. After this, the user should progress to the next step by clicking the ‘Connect’ button.
- Step 7: When the connection fails to establish a link with the VPN, it might be as a result of the server configuration. VPNs come in various forms; the user should check the network administrator for the exact access that suitably connects with the virtual private network. Restrictions to an active VPN result from encryptions which have been designed a security checks. It is good to know that PPTP-based VPN connections have similar authentication mechanisms as PPP connections. The next move is to click ‘Connect VPN Connection’ screen, and select Properties.
- Step 8: With this step chosen, move the mouse pointer to Security tab and choose the exact ‘Type of VPN’ from the drop-down menu. When the user is prompted to choose ‘Type of VPN’ select: “Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)”. We recommend that you uncheck the option that says; Include Windows logon domain under the Options tab. Also, for ‘Data Encryption’ section, select ‘Optional encryption (make a connection even if no encryption).
- Step 9: Then you should select ‘Allow these protocols’ and check the boxes: ‘Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP)’ and ‘Microsoft CHAP Version 2’ (MS-CHAP v2).
- Step 10: Select ‘Networking’ Tab, and Click on the ‘OK’ button before you click the Connect button.
- Step 11: The VPN connection is now ready to use on your Windows 7. To connect or disconnect from your chosen VPN service at any time, make a right click on the connection icon (see Change adapter settings) and choose a suitable move with the ‘connect/disconnect’ options tab. You can add VPN configurations to your Windows 7 in the future by following downloading VPN for windows.
Related: Which Are The Best Android VPN Apps?
Why set up a VPN service?
Private and corporate users use VPN service to enjoy some maximum benefits. In this section, you will learn how to set up a VPN windows 7 and get trusted VPN providers.
1. For Security: Security is an important factor to consider when using the internet to access your private data. There are a host of malware, hackers, and other unknown new threats lurking around the web space to invade an unsecured gateway.
You might succeed in safeguarding the files in your folders, but the incoming files might bring security threats. Also, these incoming files might be altered, intercepted or read. To enjoy a high-level online security, choose a trusted open VPN.
2. Better connectivity: When you access international online sites or some database, they might be sensitive and restrict the user’s access. The VPN service offers special IP addresses that place the user in an incognito mode with unlimited bandwidth. This assistance optimizes your internet gateway and increases browsing speed.
Besides better connectivity, your traffic is routed and offers flexible bandwidths to distant destinations. Some local ISPs can frustrate the user when the ISP providers restrict bandwidth usage to the volume of international resources that ought to be accessible. But a VPN service clears these hurdles, and any material can be accessed from a remote location.
3. Privacy protection: Anonymous browsing is becoming a trend as businesses focus on incognito transactions. The need for online privacy cannot be over flogged as the risk of cyber threats knows no limit. Even after activating your local firewall protection, there is a massive inflow of emails from unrelenting advertisers, online survey sites, and aggressive telemarketers.
What offers the maximum protection is a VPN service that allows customized configurations that protect data. When internet users become very active, anyone from every part of the world can find their biodata with ease. To forestall this trend, when users activate VPN services, their personal details, and IP address and will remain hidden. Instead, the IP details of their chosen VPN provider will reflect as theirs’ irrespective of the site they visit.
The VPN service is easy to set up on windows 7. We recommend that you check customers’ review and decide on the best VPN service before signing up with them.