Transferring to a new city in a different country can be expensive because of the upfront costs. But once you have settled down, you will find that it can actually help you save money, especially if you move to the world’s most affordable cities.
- Mumbai, India. This is the most affordable city in the list. Besides being very populated, this is also one of the most diverse cities in the world. It is a melting pot of various cultures filled with businesses, especially in the fashion and film industry. If you have the drive, you can establish a name for yourself there, with bars and other social venues offering goods half the prices compared to London and New York. Transportation and food here are also very cheap. You can hire your own cook or driver for only $1,000 a month.
- Kathmandu, Nepal. This is a very outdoor-oriented location since it is the gateway to the majestic Himalaya Mountains. The restaurant scene and social life in bars are getting livelier here. But bars close on midnight as mandated by law. Food, gas, housing and other basic necessities are very affordable.
- Panama City, Panama. Its mild climate and affordable living beckons expats to this Central American Station. After six days of hard work, people here party and relax in clubs and bars. You can buy a beer for only $2, and cocktails for $9. Several years ago, a construction boom took place here, making housing quite cheap, with so many new apartments sprouting.
- Bucharest, Romania. Romania’s Capital is known as “Little Paris” for its French-influenced architecture and boulevards. Housing cost here is 80 percent cheaper than London, while Public transportation is 90 percent cheaper compared to London.
- Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Those who are headed to Mecca best stop here. For $0.15, you get a litre of gas in this city. Housing, food and other costs here are also very affordable.