Next month will be the 40th year since Richard Nixon resigned due to the Watergate Scandal. It all started with the break-in at the Watergate Hotel and the office building in Washington D.C, where the Nixon administration has conducted clandestine and illegal operations to stay in power.
Here are other hotels that changed the course of history:
- Omni Parker House, Boston. Ho Chi Minh used to work here as a baker, while Malcom X was employed here as a busboy. Charles Dickens stayed here before. John Wilkes Booth stayed here before he shot Abraham Lincoln.
- The Sea Marge Hotel in Overstrand, North Norfolk. It is said that Winston Churchill used the telephone here to mobilise the British navy during World War I.
- The Goring, London. Kate Middleton spent the night here before she married Prince William. But for a more historical note, The Goring’s kitchen was where they ran the Allied war effort back in 1914.
- The Mayflower Hotel in Washington, D.C. This place has plenty of political sex scandals, including Judith Exner, JFK’s alleged mistress, Monica Lewinsky and in 2008, Governor Eliot Spitzer stayed in room 871 with a call girl.
- Cliveden House, Berkshire. John Profumo saw Christine Keeler basking at the pool of this hotel during a house party back in 1961. That event would later on lead to the resignation of Profumo, which has been 50 years ago.
- Holiday Inn, Sarajevo. During the Siege of Sarajevo that lasted for four years, this hotel housed dozens of war journalists.
- The Grand Hotel, Brighton. Margaret Thatcher along with her Conservative colleagues was under a terrorist attack in this seafront hotel thirty years ago.
- The Willard, Washington, D.C. There are countless presidents who were able to stay in this place, including Abraham Lincoln. This was considered as the residence of presidents.
- Hotel Ritz, Paris. This is where Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed stayed before they went on that journey that killed her in the Pont de l’Alma tunnel.
- The Europa, Belfast. This place has been target to so many terrorist attacks, which is up to 29 hits.