High blood pressure is present in one third of Americans. If you eat less vegetables and fruits, it means you have higher sodium intake and your potassium intake is low, which leads to high blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, eat food with low sodium and fat.
- Pickles. This food has very low fat and calorie content. It also has vitamin K that helps you with your blood clot after suffering from an injury. However, this food has 570mg worth of sodium, so limit your pickle intake.
- Sauerkraut. It has vitamins C and K, iron and fiber. This food can also help strengthen your immune system. But half a cup of this and you get 460mg worth of sodium, so make sure you limit your intake.
- Bacon. This food has vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, and B12. It also has vitamin D, zinc, magnesium and iron. Plus, this food is just so delicious. However, just three slices and you get 270 mg worth of sodium and 4.5 grams worth of fat. So, instead of eating pork bacon, try the turkey bacon, which is low in sodium.
- Whole Milk. This is good for building muscles, but its saturated fats are not good if you have high blood pressure.
- Donuts. It is delicious, but it is rich with calories and fat, which means you will get tons of saturated fat that will contribute greatly to heart disease.
- Ramen Noodles. This is delicious and convenient to prepare, but it is filled with unhealthy contents like too much saturated fats and sodium.
- Alcohol. This can ruin your blood vessel walls, which raises your blood pressure drastically. If you have high blood pressure, stay away from alcohol. You can drink moderately like one to two glasses a day only.
If you have high blood pressure, try eating the following:
- Bananas, which are rich in potassium
- Seasonings that are salt free
- White potatoes rich in potassium
- Fresh fish
- Lima beans
- Spinach, which are rich in iron
- Flaxseed, which are rich in omega-3