DC Comics named July 23 as the official Batman day, and this year marks its 75th anniversary. The caped crusader first appeared in the Detective Comics #27 way back 1939.
To celebrate Batman Day, here are incredible facts you probably don’t know about him:
- The first Batman film was directed by Andy Warhol in 1964 and not by Leslie H. Martinson in 1966. Andy Warhol’s film was a black and white film called Batman Dracula. It was only shown in Warhol’s exhibits.
- Gotham is derived by writer Bill Finger from Nottinghamshire village Gotham in England. The 2012 The Dark Knight Rises used a place in Wollaton Hall in Nottinghamshire as the Wayne Manor.
- Luke Skywalker actor, Mark Hamill voiced the Joker in the 1990s Batman: The Animated Series, Batman: Mask of the Phatasm and even the Batman: Arkham.
- Batman used to wear a bright red leotard mixed with black pants, while his mask had black eyes and his blonde hair showed in Bob Kane’s representation. This was changed into the dark brooding image later on by Bill Finger.
- In 1988, readers were given the chance to vote the fate of Jason Todd or Robin. Majority voted for Robin to die.
- According to Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Batman’s costume is based on The Mask of Zorro, while his cape is based on Da Vinci’s Ornothopter flying vehicle.
- The late Heath Ledger met with Christopher Nolan to play as Bruce Wayne, but Ledger said he would never play any character in a superhero movie. Ledger was probably impressed because he signed up as The Joker even before the script was finished.
- There is a city in Turkey called Batman, and its mayor tried to sue Warner Bros for using the city’s name in The Dark Knight movie.
- A Marvel and DC Comics crossover combined Batman and Wolverine called the Dark Claw with an alter ego called Logan Wayne.
- The Beatles was represented in Batman as The Oliver Twist band featured in a comic book in 1970. One of the band members is said to have died and had a doppelganger replaced him, this is in light with the rumour that Paul McCartney died and was replaced by a clone.